Congress ‘thanks’ former Goa CM for exposing mining scam

first_imgThe Congress in Goa on Monday thanked former Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar for his “boldness” in exposing his own party’s Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, in connection with a complaint before the Lokayukta on illegalities in second renewal of 88 leases in the mining industry. Speaking to the press here, A. Chellakumar, AICC general secretary in-charge of Goa further said that an affidavit filed by Mr. Parsekar before the Goa Lokayukta, which is probing an illegal mining scam, also exposes the lies peddled by the BJP when it was in opposition and had blamed Congress leaders of committing a ₹35,000 crore illegal mining scam.“Mr. Parrikar sitting in opposition had gone on a padayatra and undertook many agitations. He had told so many lies. He went to any extent to brand Congress as corrupt,” Mr. Chellakumar said and added that Mr. Parsekar’s affidavit now exposes those behind the mining scam.Mr. Parsekar had succeeded Mr. Parrikar as CM, after the latter joined the Union Cabinet as Defence Minister in 2014. Mr. Parsekar was defeated in the 2017 Assembly elections, and Mr. Parrikar again took charge as Chief Minister after resigning as Defence Minister. In his affidavit filed before the Goa Lokayukta, Mr. Parsekar, who is made one of the respondents in illegal mining scam case by NGO Goa Foundation, has claimed that “certain individuals”, who were involved in the process for granting the renewals were “left out” by the complainant. He further said that he was being targeted selectively at the behest of vested interests as he was no more holding any position of power .Responding to this affidavit, the petitioner Claude Alvares, Director, Goa Foundation had declared on Saturday that Mr. Parrikar, who was also Chief Minister at the time the first six mining leases were granted for second renewals, will be made party to the case before the Lokayukta. He said that initially he had left out Mr. Parrikar as he was unwell. The Goa Foundation complaint before the Lokayukta has called it a ₹1.44 lakh crore second renewal scam.last_img read more


‘Time to prove yourself’

first_imgRobredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments The country finished seventh in its last AWCC stint and a win in their next game would give the Filipinos the same ranking.“Now this is time to prove yourself. We still have one more game. You should not lose to Vietnam. I don’t want to go home without a win,” Vicente told his players after dropping a close match to Iran’s Sarmayeh Bank on Tuesday, 25-23, 25-17, 29-27.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingThe Philippine club, whose core will form the national team, is expected to play Vietin Bank of Vietnam on Wednesday. It has dropped all five games so far including one against the Vietnamese club (25-21, 17-25, 25-20, 25-14) in the group stage.Gametime is 11:30 a.m. Manila time. BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast UST-KAMENOGORSK, Kazakhstan—Let’s not go home without a win.Rebisco-PSL Manila head coach Francis Vicente urged his players to win the team’s last game at all cost and at least match the Philippines’ best finish in the Asian Women’s Club Championship (AWCC).ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV The Philippines has been playing strongly the past two games here but has generally lacked the ability to finish off sets. That weakness was highlighted in the loss to the Iranian side, where the Filipinos could have notched two set wins.“Those two sets, those were ours to lose,” said Vicente. “But then again, these are experiences we have to gain playing in international level. There are plenty more things we need to work on.”Rebisco-PSL Manila’s all-heart brand of play earned it a share of fans at Boris Alexandrov Sports Palace, but it has done little in satisfying Vicente.“Yes you have the fighting heart, but we need more,” added Vicente.Jaja Santiago, a spectacularly agile 6-foot-5 spiker, accounted for 14 points for the Philippines.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast MOST READ BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Ceres XI hopes to weave home magiclast_img read more