Fraud Suspected in Ebola Rice Distribution in Nimba

first_imgComplaints of alleged fraudulent activity over the distribution of food ration intended for residents of various Ebola affected communities in Nimba County is have surfaced with reports that several other persons are being denied food and cash benefits.On the April 29, 2015, a member of the Buu – Yoa Community Forum in Nimba County, Jamuel Wonah, told the Daily Observer that the distribution of food ration in Teahplay Boyealay on April 24 and 25 was done without any prior notice to the residents thereby denying most of the beneficiaries from the process.He said after the few who turned out received their shares, the bulk of the balance that left were allegedly auctioned before the other beneficiaries could arrive from their various farming activities.Mr. Wonnah explained that after the first distribution, ADRA, an entity in charge of the process, told the citizens that since the distance to the distribution sites in the various towns were far, they will instead bring cash as substitute to the food ration.But, according to him, on April 24 when the distribution team returned in those communities, they distributed LD3400 was given to each person instead of the US$40 that was previously earmarked for each beneficiary.He added on the April 25, 2015, the same group under the team leader only identified as Larry carried on distribution of nutritional items in the same community without displaying the way bill for the chiefs to approve.Since Ebola response food began reaching Nimba County, the process has always been associated with alleged fraudulent activities, particularly during the distribution of the food items and the cash.In October 2014, some local health workers were arrested for allegedly stealing about 200 bags of rice from the ware house in Sanniquellie. They were charged and sent to court, but the court exonerated them after going through the court proceedings.Later in November of the same year, another food distribution conducted by ADRA led into confusion in Karnplay linking the City Mayor of Karnplay, but what became of the case is yet to be known.Since the Ebola rice saga involving the local health workers the distribution of food items last year, ADRA is now implementing the food distribution from WFP.But in many of the allegations, which include selling of relief rice to business owners in Ganta, ADRA along with WFP representatives disputed the claims describing them as “liar and misleading.”However, efforts to get comment from ADRA representative in Saclepea, Alex Jallah, about the recent distribution sagas remain futile as he was yet to respond to Daily Observer after he had earlier promised to call back.Early this reporter text a message to him about the allegations, but to no avail.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


DONEGAL MAN WITH COUNTRY’S WORST CRIMINAL RECORD IS SENT TO JAIL AGAIN

first_imgA CO DONEGAL man with the worst criminal record in Irish and British judicial history is back behind bars.Eamon Edward John Lynch, 39, from Glentrain in Letterkenny, was jailed at Derry Crown Court.He now has an astonishing 472 previous criminal convictions. His latest offences involved a series of road traffic incidents Derry in 2010.It took the father of eight’s road traffic convictions now stand at 297.He also has previous multiple convictions for burglary, assault, forgery and drugs offences.Judge Piers Grant said Lynch’s record was “appalling” and contained the most significant number of convictions ever to come before him.The court was told Lynch was seen driving a car near Foyle Park which struck two parked cars, two years ago.The owner of one of the cars recognised him. Lynch ran off and was later seen walking across Craigavon Bridge by the police.As they approached him, he threw a set of keys into the River Foyle.He was arrested and when breathalysed was found to be more than twice the legal limit. At the time he had been disqualified from driving until 2023.The court was told Lynch absconded and moved back to Donegal last year where he committed seven further road traffic offences.Judge Grant imposed a 28-month jail sentence and told Lynch he would serve 14 months in custody and would be on licence for the other 14 months.DONEGAL MAN WITH COUNTRY’S WORST CRIMINAL RECORD IS SENT TO JAIL AGAIN was last modified: November 28th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL MAN WITH COUNTRY’S WORST CRIMINAL RECORD IS SENT TO JAIL AGAINlast_img read more